Sunday, June 13, 2004
Captain's Log Stardate 06/13/2004
Everything about this website after the jump.
Hello everyone! I am John Phillips Bengero, my friends from Saint Claire School call me Phillips while my family and college friends call me Jepoy. My relatives from my mother side call me Jaypee, which I really don't like :~)
I was born in Fabella Hospital in Manila, Philippines. You know, the hospital in Tondo where lots of babies are born everyday. I studied at Saint Claire School from pre-school to high school and attended 1 year of college at the University of Santo Tomas as an Electrical Engineering student. My grandfather wanted me to become an Electrical Engineer so I granted his request.
Since my first choice was a computer related course, I transferred to AMA Computer University a year later. I was supposed to enroll BS Computer Science but the admissions director told me that ALL of my engineering units will be credited if I enroll Computer Engineering. Since my drafting/drawing subject gave me nightmares while I was still in UST, I decided to enroll at the College of Engineering of AMA Computer University as a BS Computer Engineering student where I majored in computer security and CISCO Networking.
During my stay at AMACU, I became the president of AMA microsystems, the #1 and most admired student organization in the campus.
I am currently the President and CEO of BengerOrozco Enterprises Inc. that operates myPapaNi Online Store in Quezon City, Philippines. I also acquired several high-ranking niche blogs recently that I prefer not to reveal right now. :)
I love Star Trek. Isn't it obvious? :P I also love watching WWE matches. Some of the things I like include: video games especially Nintendo games and consoles, mobile phones, My Sassy Girl (watched it for more than 20x already even before it was shown in theaters), and Vic Sotto's movies.
ABOUT CAPTAIN'S LOG
I had my very first website in 1995. It was hosted at my dial-up ISP's server. Fortunately for me, the owner of that ISP was a friend of my uncle so I got about 15MB of space. My website contained about 5 pages. It included a short info about me, links to my favorite websites, a page where I post the latest happenings on my life (call it an early version of a blog), photos, and a page dedicated to the latest video game news from my Electronic Gaming Monthly magazines.
In the early 2000, I transferred my website to Destiny Cable's servers. There I re-designed my website to look like an LCARS terminal from Star Trek and renamed it to Captain's Log. This was also the time that I slowly transformed 1 page of my website to a weblog. Since it was hosted on Destiny's servers, I am not allowed to install any CMS or a blogging software called Greymatter. I had to manually update my blog every time I post something new via an HTML editor called HotDog.
During this time, I also signed up for a Blogger account. Thought had crossed my mind to transfer to Blogger, but I didn't like the idea of having my URL with a blogspot.com domain so I became a martyr and remained on Destiny's server.
A few years later, Gmail was announced and signing up for a new Blogger account was one way to get an invite. I registered a new account and hoped to received a rare Gmail invite. I got none. Instead, I was reintroduced to Blogger.
When Google acquired Blogger from Pyra, they have introduced a lot of new things. One of this is the ability to create your very own design. And since updating my blog manually via HTML is becoming illogical, I decided that it's time to "kill" the old ways. A few days later, my website was migrated from Destiny Cable's servers to Blogger.
For some time, this has been my personal blog until J. Angelo Racoma introduced me to Google Adsense. I then started to write in things other than my personal experiences. I also stopped writing and Filipino and slowly transitioned to English. This marked the birth of the new Captain's Log as you all know now.
I was quoted by Engadget, Inqurer, GoNintendo and a few other bigwigs of the internet since I started blogging about technology, the internet, and video games.
My personal blog is now located at VOX, http://jepoy.vox.com. I also maintain a photoblog at http://photos.jepoy.bengero.com
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Philippine License.
You are free:
- to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
- to Remix — to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
- Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
- Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
- Share Alike. If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.
For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link to this web page.
Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
Nothing in this license impairs or restricts the author's moral rights.
ADVERTISE ON CAPTAIN'S LOG
This blog has been online since June 2004 and has a current Pagerank of 4. Starting January 22, 2008, I will be accepting direct graphic and text ads on my blog. Here are the available ad spaces:
Peel Away Ads
This is the biggest available ad package. Your ads will be seen site-wide. A reader will see an animated "peel" at the top right corner of the website. Once the reader hovers his/her mouse on the peel, the website "peels away" to reveal your ad.
Price for this package is $60 per 30 days.
100x100 (125x125) Ad Box
There are two options for the Ad Box. 100x100 and 125x125.
The default is a 100x100 advertisement with an LCARS design. The rate is $25 per 30 days.
In the 125x125 advertisement package, your advertisement will not have an LCARS design. The rate for the 125x125 Ad Box is $30 per 30 days.
120x240 Ad Space CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE
This advertising space is a first come, first served basis. Whoever's the first one to lease this space will get 30 days of exposure on my entire blog. Rate is US$30.00 for 30 days.
You can pay via PayPal, Globe G-Cash, and SMART Money.
I respect and value your privacy as how I value mine. This blog, including blog posts and and information you provide, is hosted on Google's servers. The following describes my privacy practices on this blog.Personal information
- Since this blog is hosted on Google servers, Google automatically record information about your use of the service, such as when you use Blogger and the frequency and size of data transfers.
- Google records your IP address and domain names but not your email address whenever you view an entry or post a comment. Google does not collect your email address.
- Besides Google, this website is also using third party site statistics services that also track your IP addresses, domain names, entry and exit pages, and the time duration of your visits. These third party site statistic tool does not collect your name or email addresses.
- Your email would only be collected when you subscribe to the our email subscription or when you use the contact form provided by this website. The email subscription is handled by Feedburner and each subscriber is given an option to opt out of the service anytime. The contact form on the other hand is being handled by Response-O-Matic. Your email address will not be shared to anyone without your knowledge.
- Google stores copies of your comments while I provide comment moderation.
- This blog contains links to external websites and I am not aware of their privacy practices.
- This privacy statement applies only to these websites:
If you have further questions, please use the contact form provided on this website.
This policy is valid from 26 January 2008
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact:
This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.
This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content.
The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.
The owner(s) of this blog would like to disclose the following existing relationships. These are companies, organizations or individuals that may have a significant impact on the content of this blog.
- I am one of the owners of BengerOrozco Enterprises Inc. which operates myPapaNi Online Store.
- I am a co-founder of GameOPS.net, the 1st Philippine website dedicated to Video Games.
- I am a pro-bono forum moderator for myGlobe.
- I am an administrator of Destiny's Online Game Zone's website and IRC server.
Last Updated (02/26/2008)
*Computer end log*
Love my blog? Then subscribe by entering your email address below. You will receive blog updates directly to your inbox.