Blog Action Day - Climate Change
Thursday, October 15, 2009
Captain's Log Stardate -314788.82
So I heard that some kind of Climate Change Bill was passed or was already approved by the Philippine government because of what happened the past 3 weeks. Ondoy and Pepeng brought rains and made almost half of Luzon look like a set from the 1995 movie Waterworld.
Climate change, global warming, or whatever term you want to call it is here and we may not be able to do anything about it. Well, not really. Scientists are claiming that we're already in a point of no return. Meaning, there's really nothing we could do to stop climate change except to slow it down maybe for at least a few generations.
Well, we can start at home.
- Change all of those lightbulbs to CFL.
- Remember that in the early days, aircons are non-existent so use the fan!
- Segregate your wastes and pack them properly before throwing them away.
- Minimize the use of plastic bags, use recyclable paper bags.
- Going to the cemetery this Nov. 1? Lit only one candle
- Conserve gas, use public transpo or do a carpool with friends
- Use the so-called "political will" on the men on robes (aka priests) and push the Reproductive Health Bill. We don't need another 100 million Filipinos in the next decade and we don't want our politicians to be dictated by these priests because they can control or influence flocks of voters.
- Smoking is bad for your help, and the environment.
- Unplug your electronics when not in used.
I know there are still countless ways we can help slow down Climate Change. And if we need to act, we need to do it now.
Do you want to live in Kevin Costner's Waterworld? I don't.
*Computer end log*
Labels: events, personal
Love my blog? Then subscribe by entering your email address below. You will receive blog updates directly to your inbox.